Wednesday, July 25, 2012

8 Words That Saved a City

I love the story of Jonah, mostly because I can relate to him.   I certainly get the idea that I have a plan and God has a plan for me and they aren’t always the same.   Jonah certainly felt this way...when given a vision to go to Nineveh, I kinda imagine the thoughts went something like....you want me to do what?!?   

Despite all Jonah went through...when he finally made it to Nineveh....he preached one of the shortest sermons I know of.   It was basically 8 words.   “Forty more days and Nineveh will be overthrown.”

The Ninevites responded immediately and the entire city of Nineveh was saved from destruction.  Check out Jonah 3:3-5  

3Jonah obeyed the word of the Lord and went to Nineveh. Now Nineveh was a very large city; it took three days to go through it. 4 Jonah began by going a day’s journey into the city, proclaiming, “Forty more days and Nineveh will be overthrown.” 5 The Ninevites believed God. A fast was proclaimed, and all of them, from the greatest to the least, put on sackcloth.

This is a great example that reminds us..that God does all the work.   The hearts of the Ninevites were ready.  Jonah’s job was just to proclaim a message.  Pray with me for the people we’ll meet in Costa Rica.  Pray that we’ll say and do what God would have us do.

In Christ
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment